Saturday, February 19, 2011

Banana Bread (Saturday, February 19, 2011)

Okay, simple enough, when I have 3 or 4 over-ripe bananas saved up in the freezer its only appropriate to make banana nut bread.  However, this time, I totally forgot the nuts in my batter.  My recipe is as follows:

3/4 cup Sugar
7 tbsp  Butter (Room Temp.)
Lemon Zest

Cream this mixture in a bowl. Then add:

1 egg
2/3 cup mashed Nanners

Mix.  Then add the dry ingredients, preferable already combined and mixed together.

1 1/2 cups Flour (I use half whole wheat flour and half bread flour)
1/2 tsp Salt
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 cup nuts (usually I use walnuts, this time I used nonuts, which are a little less crunchy)

Mix this and add it to a buttered loaf pan.  This is where the remaining 1 tbsp butter was used (making 8, one stick total).  This goes into a 350 degree oven for about an hour.  Keep an eye, mine was ready after 50 minutes.  Next time I'm going to double the recipe and still use one pan so I end up with a larger loaf resulting in "full size" slices that I will feel more comfortable making French toast out of.

3 comments:

  1. nonuts are my favorite! how'd you know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. also, adding chocolate chips and/or peanut butter chips and/or chocolate frosting to banana bread has been known to make it dangerously, almost fatally, delicious. (don't ask.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmm french toast from banana bread sounds amazing. personally i'm not a huge fan of nuts anyway so this sounds great

    ReplyDelete