Thursday, May 12, 2011

Baby Beet Greens and Mushrooms (Sunday, April 24, 2011)

Not only do I have my own plot at a community garden but I've been volunteering as well at Gateway Greening. There they have demonstration beds and seedlings for sale.  This is the organizing firm for most of the community gardens in the area.  Withing their demonstration beds they have all kind of things planted.  On this particular weekend we did and bit of thinning of some of the beds and some formal harvesting of other things.  The volunteers then get to take home the spoils and I walked away with some kale, lettuce, spinach and baby beet greens.  Beet greens are praised as highly nutritious and they're also very pretty with dark green leaves and bright sanguine veins.  I had no idea what to do with them, but most greens are pretty good just sauteed with some garlic and oil.  In this case I halved some mushrooms, cooked them in some butter and garlic and then added the beet greens.  This was surprisingly filling and satisfying.  The greens have no special taste to them.  If you're used to spinach you would like beet greens, though I'm not sure if they are in stores very often.  The better option is to start growing some in your own garden.  I've been having a great time in mine.  Eat your veggies!

1 comment:

  1. Vegetablse taste better when they are fresh! Plus the satisfaction of growing your own garden is an added taste that can't be replicated. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete