Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Kale Garden Omelet (Sunday, May 1, 2011)

I was the lucky recipient of a harvest from the demonstration beds at Bell Garden.  Among my take was a huge pile of various lettuce and salad greens, baby beet greens, mustard greens and some kale.  I don't think I've ever eaten kale and I asked someone at the garden what he normally does with his and he mentioned that he cooks it up with eggs for breakfast.  My inability to sleep in late on weekends had me up somewhat early.  I had kale and half of an orange bell pepper lying around and decided on an omelet.  I started with onions and the pepper in some butter and later added the kale with the veins removed.  The veins are bulky and from what I hear, tough on the tooth.  After the leaves were wilted I added my whipped egg and milk.  In nearly perfect omelet fashion I was able to turn the egg over on itself.  I topped it with a bit of aged white cheddar cheese and served it up with some greek yogurt (instead of the normal sour cream), some grilled bread (which I always have handy now that I bake bread regularly) and some sliced and lightly sugared strawberries.  I also am now a fan of kale.  I don't know how to describe the flavor except to say that it tastes like the type of vegetable small children would fear.  That is to say, it tastes like its probably good for you. There's a hint of bitterness and earthiness.  This is a veggie I will love to have around.  I also hear from multiple sources that you can roast the leaves with olive oil, salt and pepper to make "crisps" that are a great snack.  Looking forward to more kale. 

About kale:  Although kale is a leafy green and treated like collards and mustard greens, it is actually a brassica (related to cabbage, broccoli and the like).  It also prefers cooler weather and will be more bitter during warm summers.  Following a night of frost it is advisable to harvest kale as it will have a sweeter taste.  This is an adaptation that some plants take to prevent freezing, pumping sugars into their extremities to serve as an antifreeze. Kale is also highly nutritious (no wonder I've never eaten it).

No comments:

Post a Comment